Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Pianist Review

This second of the Holocaust movies we watched was excellent. Although I thought the movie a great description of a man's struggle to survive, there were a couple of things that I did not love about it. The first thing was that the movie was so depressing. This poor man and his family are sent to the ghettos, but then someone technically forces him to escape from his family. Despite the fact that they were on their way to the concentration camps, they were altogether, but the police officer lets him alone escape and leave his family to die. Then he finds out the girl that it appeared he loved was married. When he goes into hiding, he gets very ill, starves, and breaks his leg. The whole movie from there was very sad. Second thing that I didn't like about the movie was the length of time he played the piano for. I understand the movie is called "The Pianist," but the amount of time he plays for the Nazi soldier was just too long. He played for what seemed to be five minutes which should have been maybe a minute and a half at most. Otherwise, I loved everything else about the movie. The actors were amazing and the man the actor was portraying was fascinating to watch and learn about.
I think that Hosenfield did not shout out to other Nazis when he found Szpilman because, I'm going to guess, that he saw something in him that was different than all other Jews he had seen before. Maybe he noticed that Szpillman was special. Also, Hosenfield could have been starting to resent that he was a Nazi before he met Szpillman, so he decided to do something nice for a Jew for a change in order to feel less guilty about what he was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment