Friday, February 21, 2014

42 Review

I had seen the film "42" while it was still in theaters and I loved it! Before I saw it the second time, I forgot how great it was. I did not know that it was even possible, but I liked it even more the second time. I think that the movie was a fun loving baseball movie with both like-able and hate-able characters. Jackie Robinson and his wife were obviously like-able characters, as well as Mr. Rickey.
In my opinion, Jackie Robinson has greatly helped this country when there was a lot of racism in the 40s. During a time when there were separate bathrooms for blacks and whites, there was also a separation in baseball between blacks and whites. When Mr. Rickey decided to bring in an African American baseball player to play in the Major Leagues, this was a huge change and many people were opposed to it happening. Robinson was able to show how great he was and eventually he proved himself to be among one of the best baseball players who ever lived. He broke the line that separated black and white baseball players. From people like Jackie Robinson, we learn that just by working hard and staying focused, one can accomplish anything.
Some of his values are important to me to face my own barriers. I plan to work hard to get far in life and if I ever get angry or frustrated, I will want to try and avoid lashing out at others because it only makes the situation worse.
Jackie Robinson said "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." This means that  the most important thing is not to be selfish, but to be selfless. The way to be selfless is to help others and impact their lives. I agree with Jackie Robinson because a life is not important if it does not leave a lasting impact on someone. It could be someone like a mom, dad, brother, sister, friend, etc. They will remember you and pass down the knowledge that you have given them.

2 comments:

  1. Emma, I agree with you about Mr. Rickey. Although Jackie is the star of the movie, none of this would have happened if Mr. Rickey didn't initiate the search for an African American baseball player. Mr. Rickey made a very controversial decision during this time in history and for that reason, Jackie Robinson's story lives to be told on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agreed with everything Emma wrote in her blog. I also saw the movie in theaters and I thought that it was really amazing! I agree that Mr. Rickey played a huge role in the integration of baseball as he was the one who took Jackie Robinson under his wing and introduced him to the Major Leagues. It was teamwork because Robinson wouldn't have received this chance without Mr. Rickey but also, without his incredible skill, he wouldn't have made it in the Major Leagues.

    ReplyDelete