"Cinderella Man" is the amazing story of James Braddock who is a professional boxer trying to make a living during the Great Depression for the sake of his family. I think Braddock is considered a Cinderella Man because his story is similar to Cinderella. Like her, he had a hard life and had a lot to deal with. In the end of "Cinderella," she gets her happy ending by winning the heart of the prince, and in the end of "Cinderella Man," James gets his happy ending by winning the national boxing title. This is a great "feel good" movie and I really enjoyed learning about his story. I felt like the movie was able to get to my emotional side mainly because the acting was excellent. When the characters were sad, I was sad for them. when they were happy and thrilled, I was happy and thrilled for them. I liked James Braddock's character because he was brave enough to go against the tough "bad guy" in the end, despite the many warnings he was given. He wanted to go against him so that he could earn more money for his family. He did not do anything for himself. He usually thought about his family first. There are people our there who are still dealing with financial issues like the Braddock family today. There are people who must deal with the fear of losing a family member, only in the case for today, for people who are in the military.
The scene where Braddock's son explains why he stole is so powerful because this was most likely very common to steal during the Depression because there were so many people left to starve. Honestly, I would probably have stolen food for my family back in those days. It's a matter of life and death, and I would do anything to help my family survive.
Also, the way the movie portrayed the opponent, Max Baer is absolutely unethical. The fact that the producers and director didn't even have the decency to tell his family in the first place about how he would be the bad guy in the new movie is just wrong. He seems like the kind of man who would have nightmares because of the way the movie portrayed him. I don't think, however, that it takes away from the story of Max Baer not being the bad guy in real life. He was, I'm sure, a very great and strong opponent to go against. Also, James Braddock still had to struggle with money and would still be considered the Cinderella Man.
When Braddock goes to Madison Square Garden to beg for money, I think it is sad that a strong and honorable man would have to sink so low and beg for money from his former boss and coworkers. This, however, would be something that I would do to help protect my family. So I think his action was very admirable. This particular moment in the film helps define Braddock as a "Cinderella Man" because this is similar to the scene in "Cinderella" where she gets help from her fairy godmother to go to the ball. Only in Braddock's case, the "fairy godmother" are his former coworkers and former bosses, and the "ball" is his family's survival.
No comments:
Post a Comment